Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Low-Sodium, Low (bad)* Fat Dressing

Let me tell you how I dress my salads - it makes me feel like I will never EVER buy a commercially produced salad dressing again! (except a nice wholesome, whole-food Ranch dressing for Russ to dip his veggies... that boy has to have his ranch)

Becca and Russ' Never-fail, Yummy-licious, low fat, low sodium salad dressing:
1/2 T. flaxseed oil (find it in the refridgerated supplement section of your local health food store - Whole Foods market, The Good Earth, etc)
1-2 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp lemon juice

I don't measure - I just squirt some flaxseed oil over the salad, pour in a whole capful of lemon juice (if I'm making salad for two... half the cap if it's just for me) and shake in some garlic powder. I read in my Fat Flush Cookbook that one way to cut down on your salt intake is to over-stimulate your tastebuds with flavors like garlic and lemon. Well, why not just do both!? It sure works for us (at least on salad!) and the flaxseed oil moistens the salad just enough that you don't feel like you're eating rabbit food.

And while I'm on the topic of salads - making a salad is OH SO EASY if you have the right ingredients on hand all the time...

I keep a bag of romaine hearts in my fridge always. I get the pack with three hearts. When I get down to my last heart, I head to the store to buy some more. I'm starting to get in the habit of shopping once or twice a week instead of only on payday. It has been encouraging me to eat more fresh, whole foods. 

So tear up a few leaves of romaine hearts for your base. Then I chop up some green onions or part of a big onion (if I don't have any green onions). I add a roma tomato, chopped, and then half an avacado. For protein on top, I use canned tuna (I send Russ to school with the green stuff in a tupperware, and the tomato chopped up in its own small container, then the little single serve tuna packets so he can put it all together when he's ready to eat it). But you can use some kidney beans, grilled chicken or whatever protein you like.

There you have it - a complete, whole food lunch/dinner whatever meal. And it's a good 300 or so calories. Add yourself a whole wheat roll or bagel and a glass of juice or milk, and you've got yourself a well rounded meal!

*I amended this post to say low BAD fats, because technically 1/2 T. of flaxseed oil has 7g of fat (which is not low fat by any means). The point is, flaxseed oil is mostly full of GOOD fats, and Omega fatty acids (which are not only NOT bad fats, but are very VERY necessary fats). So yeah, flaxseed oil is actually very high in GOOD fats. But one 1/2 T. of flaxseed oil packs a good 60 calorie punch. Just for those of you who are calorie counters :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

"To be sent greeting... by... the word of wisdom...

Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints...

All wholesome herbs [or plants] God hath ordained for the consitution, nature, and use of man-

Every herb [or plant] in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving...

And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings... shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones...

And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint."